Tainted opener Nasir Jamshed, believed to be a prime suspect in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) spot-fixing case, has been handed a one-year ban by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU), a top PCB official told DawnNews on Monday.
The ACU decided to ban Jamshed for obstruction of investigation and non-cooperation with the PCB. The main charges will be brought against him soon by the ACU, according to PCB sources.
The PSL spot-fixing scandal surfaced earlier this year, on the opening day of the second PSL Twenty20 series held in Dubai, with the final staged in Lahore.
Sharjeel Khan was the first cricketer in the spot-fixing case, who was banned for five years last month.
However, after a suspension period of two and a half years and with the addition of seven months, which the left-handed opener had already passed as a result of the case proceedings, the remaining period of his punishment was reduced to just one year and 11 months when it was announced in August 2017.
In September, the ACU handed batsman Khalid Latif a five-year ban and Rs1 million fine for involvement in the spot-fixing case.
He was charged on six counts, including persuading or attempting to persuade three other cricketers — Mohammad Irfan, Shahzaib Hasan and Sharjeel Khan — to get involved in spot-fixing.
The Multan Sultans on Sunday decided to hand the skipper's cap to Shoaib Malik for the third edition of the Pakistan Super League.
In a press release announcing Malik's captaincy, the Sultans also announced that former right-hand batsman Muhammad Junaid will be the team's batting mentor while former South African captain Johan Botha will act as their strength coach.
The Indian cricket team's former physiotherapist, Andrew Leipus, will be helping the squad keep in shape throughout the tournament.
Speaking about Malik's skills on the field, Multan Sultan's Director of Cricket Operations, Wasim Akram, said: "Malik is currently at his finest fitness level, and after playing a number of international T20 leagues, he also has a lot of experience to offer the team, which is why he has been chosen as captain."
The PSL 3 players' draft will take place today and feature 501 local and international cricket players.
پاکستان کرکٹ ٹیم کے سابق مایہ ناز اسپنرسعید اجمل نے کہا ہے کہ اگر پاکستان کرکٹ بورڈ (پی سی بی) اور محمد حفیط نے ان سے رابطہ کیا تو وہ ایک مہینے کے اندر محمد حفیظ کے باؤلنگ ایکشن کو درست کردیں گے۔
ڈان نیوز کو ایک انٹرویو میں سعید اجمل کا کہنا تھا کہ آئی سی سی کی جانب سے 2014 میں معطل کیے جانے کے بعد ثقلین مشتاق اور مشتاق احمد نے باؤلنگ ایکشن کی درستی کے لیے ان کی مدد کی تھی۔
یاد رہے کہ آئی سی سی نے رواں ہفتے کے آغاز میں پاکستان کے تجربہ کار آل راؤنڈر محمد حفیظ کے باؤلنگ ایکشن کو غیرقانونی قرار دییتے ہوئے تیسری مرتبہ باؤلنگ سے معطل کردیا تھا۔
ان کا کہنا تھا کہ 'اگر پی سی بی چند مثبت اقدامات اٹھائے تو مجھے امید ہے کہ دوبارہ پاکستانی باؤلرز کو ان کے باؤلنگ ایکشن پر نشانہ نہیں بنایا جائے گا'۔
قبل ازیں سعید اجمل نے اے ایف پی کو دیے گئے ایک انٹرویو میں اسی بات کو دہرایا تھا کہ 'ایسا لگتا ہے کہ یہ نظام میرے اور محمد حفیظ کے لیے ہے جبکہ مشکوک باؤلنگ ایکشن کے حامل دیگر باؤلرز تاحال کھیل رہے ہیں'۔
رواں ماہ کے آغاز میں بین الاقوامی کرکٹ سے کنارہ کشی کرنے والے سعید اجمل نے فیئرویل کے طور بین الاقوامی میچ کے موقع کو مسترد کرتے ہوئے کہا کہ پی سی بی کو اس حوالے سے پہلے سوچنا چاہیے تھا۔
انھوں نے کہا کہ 'میں ان سے (پی سی بی) سے بھیک نہیں مانگوں گا'۔
پی سی بی کی جانب سے 2016 میں الوداعی تقریب کی پیش کش کو بھی سعید اجمل نے رد کرتے ہوئے اپنے کیریئر کو جاری رکھنے کا اعلان کیا تھا۔
The entire KC delegation to Malaysia celebrate the victory over Oman as Kuwait qualify for the Finals..
Kuwait City: Kuwait Cricket, the official governing body for cricket in Kuwait, has announced its squad for the upcoming U-19 Asia Cup Qualifiers (Western Region) to be held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from 29th October to 8th November 2017 which include teams from Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Iran, Oman and the Maldives.
The winner of the tournament will qualify to play the U-19 Asia Cup against test playing nations Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan & Sri Lanka along with eastern region winners Nepal. The U-19 Asia Cup will also be hosted by Malaysia after the qualifying leg from 10th November to 20th November 2017.
The official photo shoot of Kuwait U-19 delegation along with the cultural and prestigious giving away of the Kuwait Cricket official cap to the selected players and officials took place at Doha Cricket ground on Wednesday 25th Oct in the presence of KC Board Members, Council members, sponsors, partners and support staff.
The ceremony was graced and addressed by the KC President Mr Haider Farman and KC vice president Mr Faisal Al Marzook who wished the entire delegation headed by Mr Mahmoud Bastaki good luck for the tournament.
Umer Slahuddin, a senior marketing executive at Kuwait Cricket conducted the ceremony and requested the KC Officials to say a few words starting from the President. Mr. Haider Farman passionately emphasized on unity and playing as a team as vital keys to success in the upcoming tournament. The President also thanked the entire council and management for their consistent efforts in preparation of the tournament that was initially meant to be hosted by Kuwait until unavoidable circumstances intervened. Mr Faisal Al Marzouk & Mr Mahmoud Bastaki seconded the views and comments of the President and further added self belief and giving 100% as a player regardless of the end result as essential components for an international event of high significance.
Mr Sajid Ashraf, directing the affairs of cricket in kuwait thanked the board for all the support provided and appreciated the hard work and efforts of Mr Robert Dsouza in managing the facilities and logistics along with the curators and ground staff at Doha & Sulaibiya cricket ground respectively. Mr Sajid also thanked the Principle sponsors MGA, IDP & Ashraf Group and co-sponsors Al Hafiz, Kuwait Swedish and Gulf Consult along with Sports Equipment sponsors AHS Sports & Mahaas Sports for their sincere support towards the game of cricket in Kuwait for domestic & international season 2016-2017. Mementos of appreciation from KC President Mr Farman and Vice President Mr Marzouk were given to the present sponsors Mr Hafiz Mohammad Shabbir of Al Hafiz Company for taking sincere care of all the print solutions requirements and to Mr. Asad Aleem Khan for providing unparalleled support for the security and cleaning arrangements of KC.
Mr Harshith Vora, Directing juniors cricket in Kuwait announced the squad and asked each player to come forward and collect their prestigious Kuwait Cricket cap from the Board members as well as the present council members starting from Mr Sudhakara Shetty, Mr Rishi D Jayan, Mr Robert Dsouza, Mr Naveen Dhanajayan, & Mr Mehboob Khan.
Mr Vora has spent a tremendous amount of time at the grounds and has been pivotal in preparation of the team along with the Head Coach Tahir Khan and assistant coach Jude D'Silva. The trio have picked the best possible squad in consensus with the board and council members and comes as the culmination of a 4-month selection and preparation camp conducted by KC with unprecedented facilities and practice matches being made available to the youngsters.
The selection process saw a record attendance of over 100 hopefuls which were originally narrowed down to 30 before reaching the final cup of 14 members and 4 reserves. Long serving coaches Tahir Khan and Jude D'Silva have put in an extraordinary amount of work with the boys training up to 5 times a week for a period of 4 months. KC has also brought Delhi based Collage Cricket Club to Kuwait to provide match practice to the U-19 boys apart from playing against some of the best division A and division B teams of Kuwait's domestic cricket.
Kuwait U-19 Squad & Delegation for ACC U-19 Asia Cup Qualifiers is as follows:
Noman Sidiq Budroo (Captain)
Abdul Haseeb (Vice Captain)
Meet Bhawsar +
Gokul Sunil Kumar
Govind Sunil Kumar
Hamza Ahmed Qureshi
Akhil Sajeev Nair
Jandu Hamoud Amanullah
Adnan Mohammad Sheik (reserve)
Faez Ahmed (reserve)
Venkata Sai (reserve)
Nipun Madushan (reserve)
Mohammad Tahir Khan (Head Coach)
Jude D'Silva (Assistant Coach)
Mr Mahmoud Bastaki (Head of Delegation)
Mr Sajid Ashraf (Official)
Mr Sudhakara Shetty (Manager)
The tournament kick starts with Kuwait taking on Maldives in the tournament opener on Tuesday, October 31st followed by Qatar & Iran. Top two from each group will qualify for the semis. The other group will see UAE, Bahrain & Oman fight it out for the semis spot.
Stay tuned at www.kuwait-cricket.com for all the live updates and follow the team live @kuwaitcricketofficial
MADRID: A Marco Asensio-inspired Real Madrid crushed Eibar 3-0 to close the gap on La Liga leaders Barcelona to five points on Sunday, with Karim Benzema starting on the bench.
Asensio forced an own goal and scored the second as Real moved up to third place with 20 points, one behind second-placed Valencia and one ahead of Atletico Madrid, who beat Celta Vigo 1-0 away thanks to a Kevin Gameiro strike.
Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to pick up FIFA’s ‘The Best’ award in London for his goals in helping Real land a Champions League and La Liga double for the first time in 59 years earlier in the year.
Yet, the Portuguese’s off colour La Liga form this season continued as it was Asensio who shone as his partner up front.
The 21-year-old got Real going in the 18th minute when his well-placed cross meant for Sergio Ramos was headed into the net by Eibar defender Paulo Oliveira.
Asensio put the result beyond doubt 10 minutes later at the Santiago Bernabeu when he drove Francisco “Isco” Alarcon’s cross under goalkeeper Marco Dmitrovic.
Marcelo rounded off the victory in the 82nd after substitute Benzema set him up.
Following a rocky start with only two wins in the first five rounds, Zinedine Zidane’s team has now won four straight in the league.
“Not everything went perfectly, but we are happy for the win,” Zidane said. “It was important to get the three points and to score that many goals.”
Earlier, Gameiro’s strike earned Atletico the points in Galicia where Celta, in 10th spot, impressed but could not break down Diego Simeone’s typically rock-solid backline.
Gameiro blasted home in the 28th minute from close range, against the run of play, after a corner bounced to him fortuitously.
“I’ve come through a difficult time,” Gameiro, who missed the start of the season through injury, told BeIN Sports Spain. “Now that I am able to play, I can help the team and score goals.”
Leganes moved up to fifth with a 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao thanks to a brilliant individual goal from Claudio Beauvue, while Villarreal thrashed Las Palmas 4-0 to go sixth, sending the islanders down to third-bottom.
Published in Dawn, October 24th, 2017